Sunday, December 30, 2012

Guest Post: Amy at Runner, Reader and Rockin' Mom


The stories of other runners have inspired me incredibly this year.  I love hearing stories about how people keep at this running thing.  Today, we have a guest post form Amy at RUNNER, READER, AND ROCKIN' MOM. She tells us all that it takes for her to run.  I know her words will help me keep going.

All You Need to Be a Runner Is…

Some INSPIRATION:  My mother would have never told you that I would be a runner.  In fact, I would have never told you that I would be a runner.  However, I was inspired by those around me.  I guess it all began with my daughter.  One day she told me she wanted to run and she did. I thought I would give it a try and I lasted a whole TEN minutes.  It was tough, but I stuck with it, taking baby steps for a LOOOOOONG time. It wasn't until I ran my first 5k that I considered myself a runner.  My family, my friends, and complete strangers cheering me on inspired me to keep on going.  In turn, I have inspired others to give it a try or keep on going.  Who inspires you?  Who do you inspire?

The MOTIVATION: Running buddies are the best motivators.  They motivate you through the good, the bad, and the ugly. They push you to be your best, they celebrate your accomplishments with you, and they get you through those running trials and tribulations.  There is nothing better than the running community for motivation.  Actually, I think runners might be a part of a secret cult!  Before I was a runner, I would see these magnets on cars that said 26.2 or 13.1 and I had no idea what that even meant.  Now I can't go out without seeing magnets, magnets everywhere or a runner here and a runner there. Oh!  And, don't forget about Twitter!  #runteacherrun motivates me when I am running buddyless!  What motivates you? What do you do to motivate other runners?

A lot of DETERMINATION: I love the saying, "Quitters never win and winners never quit". This is definitely true in the running world.  Yes, there are going to be days when physically your body is tired or even injured!  And, there will be days when mentally you just want to quit and you doubt your abilities. So, you take a break, but you are determined to get right back at it. My hubby always tells me that the mind controls the body; the body doesn't control the mind.   How determined are you? 

Much DEDICATION: Of course I have another saying for you, "Failure to plan is planning to fail!"  Dedicated runners have some kind of plan or goal.  Whether it is a time, a pace, or a specific distance, being dedicated will help you keep on going!  For me, signing up for a race helps me stay a dedicated runner.  I always follow a training plan for a 1/2 or full marathon, but I can pretty much "wing it" for 5k races :)  What kind of plan can you devise to keep you dedicated to running?

An ADMIRATION for other runners:  I truly love to hear running stories of other runners.  How did you begin? How long have you been running?  What kind of pace do you run?  Where do you like to run? I admire anyone who is out there running! As Lebow said,  "It doesn't matter if you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last.  You can say that you finished and there is a lot of satisfaction in that."  What do you admire in other runners?

Well, the laces are tied, the Under Armor is on, the Garmin is ready to go, and the iPod is charged...it's a great day for a run! So, if you are looking for some inspiration, motivation, determination, dedication, and admiration please join Twitter at #runteacherrun.  It's all you need to be a runner!  

Last but not least, I would love to hear your running story.  You can find me on Twitter @RunReadMom, or visit my blog at http://runreadmom.wordpress.com.

Happy Running,
Amy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment