Sunday, January 13, 2013

A marathon? Really?

I began running almost 3 years ago.  I talked a bit about my journey into running in my first guest post on this blog here.  Even after I identified myself as a runner, I knew I would never be "that kind of runner" who ran marathons.  26.2 miles?  Are you kidding me?  No thank you!  I would NEVER do that.
Well my friends...never say never.  

My first year of running I tackled a 5K race, a 4 miler, and then jumped to a 15K.  My second year of running I ran three half marathons and a few 5Ks.  My plans for 2012 were to run at least four half marathons. I had found what I felt was the perfect distance for training and races.  Not too short and not too long.  Definitely a Goldilocks type of distance:  just right.  

Unfortunately, my body had other plans.  The very first day of school in August 2012, I was diagnosed with pneumonia.  Needless to say, the 6 weeks of mandated no running put quite a cramp in my fall half marathon training and plans.  My first race back was a 10K at the end of September.  My lungs were not back to full capacity yet, but I could run. 

That very same day, my sister texted me about a marathon she had decided to run in January.  I texted her back and told her it sounded great to celebrate my 40th birthday with a marathon.  She thought I was joking...which I was...but then something clicked.  Why not celebrate turning 40 by doing something really big like running a marathon?  I called to talk to her.  A decision this monumental could not be expressed through a text alone.  I expressed my desire to run the marathon but my doubt and fears that I really could do it.  We began to talk about training plans and how it would require 16 weeks.  (The timing was perfect with the race 18 weeks away.)  I decided to give the training a try but not actually register for the race.  

After a few weeks of training, I decided to register for the race, with the idea that I could always run the half marathon instead of the full if I needed to make the switch.  I still couldn't convince myself I was going to really do it.  But then I began talking about it.  I figured if I told people about it, I would be more likely to truly go for it.  Running friends encouraged me and told me stories about their own first marathons.  Non-running friends asked if I was crazy.  Apparently so!

Six weeks into the training, I ran my longest run ever: 14 miles.  I survived.  Two weeks later it was a 15 mile run.  My long runs grew and I continued to survive.  After a miserable 18 mile run in cold, rainy yuckiness I knew I really could do it.  I kept thinking that half the battle was mental and at least during the marathon I'd have my sister to keep me company, much better weather, and amazing views and scenery in Charleston, SC.  My final long run of 20 miles before my taper was a few weeks ago.  I ran with a new running friend for 13 of the miles and enjoyed the companionship and conversation.  (and I survived running 20 miles in the snow!) The last two and a half weeks of my training have been the famous taper. 

And now...here I am:  exactly 6 days before my first marathon.  

I'm excited.

I'm super nervous.

But I'm going to do it.

I'M GOING TO RUN A MARATHON!

I've told many people that this is a one-shot deal.  

A bucket list item.  

Check it off the list and be done with the whole marathon thing.  

I suppose I should re-read the beginning of this blog post and never say never. :)


8 comments:

  1. Awesome! I am impressed with you training in winter. Have a great time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you are mentally prepared to cross that 26.2 finish line very strong! It will be a great experience. Have fun and #runteacherrun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Great for you that is. :) a 1/2 was enough for me. Excited to follow your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Sherry! Just be careful...I said the same thing about my 1st two years ago & I am now training for #4!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very exciting! I am in the "never going to run a marathon" camp too. Maybe I'll change my mind but I doubt it! LOL Good luck in your race!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't fret. You are a serious runner compared to me and most people. I originally started doing marathons to help me with skin tightening, the habit stuck, I enjoy the excitement of the event.

    ReplyDelete