Sunday, April 14, 2013

Running Music

After a bout of strep throat last weekend that zapped all of my energy for this week, I managed to run 15 miles this weekend.  I looked at the calendar and the Indy Mini-Marathon (it's the nation's largest half-marathon!) is a mere 3 weeks away.  Yikes!

Saturday I decided I would do my best to get in a long run of 10 miles.  (Confession Time:  since the marathon in January, I haven't ran more than 7 miles in one stretch.)  I figured I could run slow and steady and see if my energy level would hold out.  Because the temperature outside was only in the mid 30s and windy, I opted for the treadmill.  I set the pace slow, tuned in to Doctor Who on Netflix and ran.  Each mile I bumped the pace up a bit faster, but didn't get crazy.  2 episodes later and a tiny bit of a 3rd one, my 10 miles were finished!  Hooray!

Today (Sunday) was the complete opposite of yesterday.  It was sunny and warm when we left for church.  By the time we got home after lunch, I was itching to lace up and run outside.  After looking at the forecast for the week and our family calendar, I knew it may be my only chance to have a good run outside.  I ran down my favorite road.  It's my favorite because it's right across from my house (convenient!), it has little to no traffic (safe!), and it's flat (yes!).  I decided to run my usual route:  down 2 1/2 miles and back for a total of 5 miles.  It was exhilarating!  There's nothing quite like running outside in perfect conditions:  not too hot, not too cold, sunshine, slight breeze... the feeling is amazing!  

While running, I listened to my old ipod shuffle (my phone really needed charging) and was pleasantly surprised at some of my old running tunes that I haven't heard for a while.  Some Lady Gaga, Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Buffet, Guns-n-Roses, Glee, Best Coast...really great tunes!  I'm planning on adding some of the tunes back to my phone to refresh my playlist which has gotten a bit stale.
  
It got me thinking about what songs I really enjoy hearing when I'm running and which ones never get old.  I love listening to music when I run...but only outside.  On the treadmill, I have to watch programs on my ipad because I get completely bored otherwise.  Music isn't enough.  Outside, it's just perfect and necessary.  

So, I asked the question on our facebook page, what song do YOU love to run/walk/work out to right now?

I'm asking the same question here except for I'll have you submit via a google form below so we can compile a great #RunTeacherRun playlist.

Looking forward to adding some new go-to-tunes to my mix!


No comments:

Post a Comment