Saturday, June 23, 2012

This Week's Running Stuff

Katherine and I getting ready for our "Babymouse Run" in our Team Sparkle Skirts.


Well, another week, and I still seem to be running. It wasn't a great week of exercise but good enough I think.

This week was the week of the All Write Summer Institute.  One of my big issues is exercising when I travel.  So I was excited months ago when Katherine (my virtual running partner) and I decided to do a run at All Write.  We knew it would be busy but thought it would be crazy to get together and not run. Plus we had our Team Sparkle Skirts and Babymouse t-shirts for the event. (I also had a special pink Sparkly Soul headband for the event!) It ended up to be a 90+ degree week and there wasn't a lot of free time at All Write but we did fit in a very short run (about 10-15 minutes) in the heat, outside of our hotel.  We ran before all of the fun began. Funny thing, we ran into quite a few people in our costumes.  And I am sure the drivers on the road wondered what exactly we were doing. So, we had our own "Babymouse Run". Hopefully this will become an annual All Write tradition. (Next year, I am thinking we can even try the great trails that are near our hotel.) And we will be doing a run the next time we see each other which will be NCTE Vegas. Katherine wasn't thrilled with the costume ideas on Team Sparkle but I find the Vegas options quite amusing! Luckily, we have lots of time to think and plan for our run-and it looks like November in Vegas will be perfect running weather. (And we already know that Katie --another reading teacher who runs--will also be joining us.)

I learned a lot even though our run was so short.  I really had never even attempted to run in 90+ degree weather. Seemed impossible. But we did it and I realized I could definitely do a short run in any kind of weather. It wasn't ideal and there were no real sidewalks and we didn't know where we were going but we ran.  So, I expanded my idea of what kind of weather I could actually run in.  I also really enjoyed running with Katherine. Talking and catching up during the run was nice. I have only run with my husband (once) and my friend Meredith (at 5K--long run) but a slow, low-stress run with a friend was way more fun than I thought it would be. I can see the fun of running with friends if I could find friends around her who are new to running. Who knew?

So, the week before All Write started out well. I ran on Sunday and Monday. I did 3 miles both days--the first day I ran 2 miles and walked one. On Monday, I ran 2.5 and walked .5. I am trying to make sure I get in 3 mile runs or run/walks several times in the next few weeks.  The runs went well--as they often do on the treadmill. I have moved to running in a tank top because of the heat (even indoors). I am over the fat arms thing, I guess. It is what it is. And I do love my Lululemon tanks!

I still read so much about running. The reading and hearing from others is one of the big things that keeps me going.  My favorite post of the week was from one of my favorite new finds, I Run Slow, LET ME TELL YOU A STORY. I can so relate to this story. I too was always chosen last in gym ( I could have cared less--I would much rather have chatted with friends than played a physical game.). I was not an athlete. I have struck out in kickball and scored an 18 in bowling. My best sport is Bejeweled Blitz but my husband tells me that sitting on the couch playing a game on my phone cannot be considered athletic in any way. I did try out for the tennis team in high school ( a few cute boys played this sport, thus my reasoning if you are wondering why a non-tennis player would try out for the tennis team....).  I made the team as did everyone who tried out. At practice once, I accidentally hit the tennis coach with a ball -he was coaching between a few courts and I had trouble keeping the ball in the court.)  I think I appreciated the I RUN SLOW blog post because I could so relate and I do think that I am not really built to be athletic.  Not that I can't do it, but I do think that running is harder and takes longer for me to get good at than it might for other people.  There is definitely a pattern to my struggles with being an athlete.

Another plus to reading the post was that I discovered another blog I plan to follow. Teeny Victories
is a story I want to follow--one that will help me to remember to celebrate growth rather than focus on all I can't do as I move forward.

I registered for the Color Me Rad run in Columbus this week.  My friend started a team and it sounded like a good idea.  The run is the Sunday before I start back to school and I figure this way, I'll have my long run in for the week before I start back to work.  I also figured another 5K would keep me running through the summer, without giving myself much permission to take a break. As you know, I did not enjoy my first 5K but if I can get to the point that I am not miserable, scheduling 5Ks with friends every so often may be just enough to keep me going.

I am also registered for the Color Run in Columbus in July. I signed up for this one long ago when I didn't know how much I would hate the first 5K. So I was thinking about my goal for this upcoming run. It is a low stress run, smaller than the Race for the Cure that I ran in May. I think it has a more "fun" feel and I think there will be more kids and walkers. But I know the color will add one more thing to distract me. But I think I know better what to expect going in.   I loved Heather's marathon goal on 365 Days of Awesome. She wants to "finish-without being dead" and "don't hate it (or my friends that are running with me)". I love these goals and they helped me solidify my own goals for the Color Run.  I want to have more fun than I had at the last 5 K. I want to get through it pleasantly, even if that means walking a minute between miles (this strategy helps me a LOT).  I will reevaluate as the race gets closer but I'd love to feel happy after the race. Feel like I had fun and it was worth it.  I want to enjoy this running thing. So, I am working to run to get to the point that the running part won't be as hard as it was in May. And knowing what to expect should help too.

I am scheduled to try a Pure Barre class this week. I am really hoping that in the next 3 weeks I really increase my overall exercise time.  I think my body does well with 3 days of running but I need to add some other things --cardio and strength. It has been hard for me to figure out the right amount of exercise and to find a class I love.  I'll definitely post about my Pure Barre experience.

My last random thought is that I am pleasantly surprised that people are reading this blog. I noticed at All Write that several people asked me how my running was going--people who could only know that I am running from reading these posts.  I appreciate all of the support people are giving me on this journey.  I feel very vulnerable writing about this struggle with exercise and I really never expected anyone to read along.  It is amazing how non-judgemental and supportive everyone has been.   Teachers are such good people, and this running journey has reminded me of that.

Finally, you can follow tweets of teachers who run with the hashtag #runteacherrun.

6 comments:

  1. Yay for us! I'm very impressed we actually got any running in - that was a crazy spot! But we had dinner down by the Boathouse last night along a canal - it was beautiful and a perfect spot for running. (And we absolutely will not get lost on any trails - just run by the canal. Vegas is up next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. A Vegas run? That's serious dedication with all the other things going on during NCTE!
    I'm impressed by your keeping with this. Maybe the public posting is enough to keep you going? (Or maybe the promise of more cute workout clothes? ;) Whatever it is, I'm lacking it - I've been lousy about sticking with plans for exercising more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm never good at sticking with exercising. Maybe it is my age and I know it is only going to get harder. The blog does help and scheduling things like a Vegas run and not wanting to look totally foolish, helps. You can join us on the strip. Way enough time to stick to running. And a good excuse for a fun skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go ladies! You look adorable AND you got your Babymouse run in together! :) I think it's AWESOME you've signed up for 2 more races. The Color Runs sounds like so much fun.

    See you in Vegas -- I'm definitely not going to miss out on running while I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You two are awesome in your Babymouse gear! excercising when out of town is way more difficult. Congrats on going through with it. I love reading about your running journey. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome work, ladies! Before you know it, you'll be signing up for 10Ks and before long, 1/2 marathons. Trust me. I know. 10 years ago, I swore that all runners were insane or pathalogical liars. All that "we LOVE it" crap sounded like crazy talk to me, and now I talk it like it's nobody's business. I'm recovering from an injury now, so a 3 mile run feels like a struggle to me (add to that the 100% South Carolina humidity), so I appreciate your honesty about how bad runs can feel sometimes. I jsut signed up for the Charlotte Color Run today. I'm super stoked. We're doing it as a family... 2 grandparents, 4 parents, and 2 5 year old grandkids. We'll be walking, running and (above all) enjoying it. Glad to find you. Thanks, @LibraryFanatic for sending me their way!

    ReplyDelete