Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Ugh...Why Would You Do That? by Mike Roberts

“Ugh…Why Would You Do That?”
Tips for Aspiring Ultra-Marathoners

So when I tell people that I run ultra-marathons (any race that is greater than 26.2 miles), their response is usually something along the lines of “Ugh…why would you do that?”

I used to laugh it off, primarily due to the fact that I pretty much get that same response whenever I tell people that I teach middle school.

But the more I’ve thought about it over the years, the more I’ve come to realize that I shouldn’t laugh it off. In fact, the question shouldn’t be why would I run ultras, but rather why wouldn’t I run them.

So in an attempt to get more of my teacher peeps out for a 50k, 50 mile, or even a 100-mile race, here are the top five reasons why being an ultra-marathoner rules.

  1. You instantly become super-hero like to all your couch potato friends.  Lazy people are generally pretty easy to impress, so even casually mentioning the fact that you have a 50-mile race the next day puts you into Batman territory.
  2. It’s not much more training than you do for a marathon.
Seriously. If you add an extra 10-15 miles per week to your marathon training, you can finish a 50k. The first one won’t be pretty, but you’ll finish.

  1. You don’t have to run fast…you just have to run all day.
In fact, since most ultras take place in the mountains (involving climbing and single-track running), you will actually do a ton of walking during an ultra. But don’t tell your friends this…it might jeopardize the super-hero rep.

  1. The aid stations are way better than marathons.
Don’t believe me? A typical ultra aid station comes complete with potato chips, Oreos, gummy bears, Coke, fruit, M&Ms, and, if you’re really lucky, popsicles. Sure beats a sippy cup of Gatorade, eh?

  1. Black/Missing toenails are a badge of honor.
Embarrassed by your feet? Not at an ultra! Take pride in those sorry looking dogs! The more mangled, the better.

There you have it…the top five reasons why being an ultra-marathoner rules. And yes, there are other reasons (health benefits, challenging yourself, getting into nature, camaraderie with the other runner, etc.), but none of that stuff is nearly as cool as the junk mentioned above.

Still not convinced? Then I suggest checking out a few of my favorite ultra websites for inspiration…

http://www.irunfar.com/
http://antonkrupicka.blogspot.com/
http://footfeathers.blogspot.com/

And being an English teacher and all, here are a few books on the subject. You could even download them and listen to them while running. I know…I just blew your mind!

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall
Eat and Run by Scott Jurek
Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner by Dean Karnazes

Finally, in all seriousness, if you have any questions about running ultras, please feel free to email me at thebaldenglishteacher@gmail.com.  While I’m far from an expert, I can usually at least point you in the direction of someone much smarter than I am (which really isn’t that hard).

Now get out there and go for a run!

1 comment:

  1. Love this piece Mike! I never even thought about how the pacing of an ultra might work. You make it seem a little bit more doable than I previously imagined & the aid stations do sound dreamy! Not sure I'll ever actually get to the point of truly wanting to attempt one, but hey, that's what I said about running a marathon too & now I'm training for Boston! Thanks for this wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete