Sunday, September 29, 2013

Lament

I'm injured.

It's been 5 weeks since I last ran.

My last run was a truly awful one of 6 miles instead of  the planned 7.  I chafed so badly in my favorite pair of running shorts, I actually called my husband to come pick me up instead of finishing the last mile.  I have NEVER called him to pick me up from a run.  Not in rain, snow, or from exhaustion.

5 weeks later I'd give anything to go back and run that one last mile despite the pain.  Even walk the last mile.  Just savor being outside and being ABLE to put one foot in front of the other.

I had an unfortunate accident with a knife after I returned from my run.  It severed the tendon to my big toe which resulted in surgery and 4 weeks in a walking boot 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, as well as crutches for the first 2 weeks.

I'm out of the boot now.  The stitches have been removed.  I still can't walk normally.  I can't even move all of my toes.  My foot is purple and swollen.  I'm icing.  Elevating.  Trying to relearn how to walk.

And all I can think about is running.

When will I be able to run again???

I miss it something awful.  The solitude.  The sense of accomplishment.  The release.

I had already decided I wouldn't be running the Chicago Marathon in a few weeks before the injury.  Now I wonder why in the world I backed out instead of just going for it and embracing the training.  (Anyone need a bib?  I have one...cheap!)

Now I'm looking ahead.  Will I be able to run a half marathon by winter of 2014 or is spring more realistic?  I just don't know what to expect or how long this recovery is really going to take.

What I do know is I regret not taking advantage of every single day I was able to run when I was healthy.

I regret taking it for granted.

Running and being healthy enough to run is a gift.  A blessing.

Embrace every single step.  Every single mile.  Enjoy the journey.

Get off the couch and #runteacherrun!


1 comment:

  1. So glad you are closer to getting back to running. Yes, it is a gift, even when it doesn't feel like one! My Slice of Life tomorrow is about a similar thing. We are on the same wavelength again!

    ReplyDelete