Friday, January 13, 2012

10 Things-Week 2: This Week I Learn that Some Runners Race in Costumes

From Flickr  http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrtopp/3518866589/
I'm thinking this 10 things format might work for me. Here is my thinking. I am on a 16 week running plan. This is the end of week one.  15 more posts and I will be a runner, right?  By the end of my road to runner, I will have written 160 things about my experience. I like that idea.  I think 160 things will make me feel like a runner.  I know in reading, we want our kids to consider themselves readers always and I so believe that they are.  And my running friends believe that if I have run once, I am a runner. But, deep down, I know I am not yet living my life as a runner. I am just becoming one. It is a process. I am at the very beginning.

So, here are my 10 thoughts for the week.

1. The week was better than last week.  I went to Yoga twice and made it through the workout both days. I did not do Chaturanga, but learned many new poses and words. I am still lost but am definitely feeling improvements.  I believe Warrior 1 is my favorite Yoga Pose as of today. (well, if you don't count Child's Pose, that is.)

2.  Running started slow, as per my plan. I love my plan.  I started with a 20 minute run/walk.  30 seconds run/2 minutes walk. I thought it would be easier than it was the first day. It was actually a perfect place to start.  The second run (same walk/run combo) was better. I had about 3 seconds of "runner's high" and remembered why I had loved exercise in the past.

My online running coach is very smart. I am learning about long runs (mine this week was 22 minutes) and the importance of rest after a long run. I am learning how to increase either my pace or time--not both.  It is an interesting plan and I like the idea of it.

3. Again, readers are like runners in so many ways. I see so many similarities between the communities.  There is a weekly Twitter discussion called #runchat which reminds me of #engchat and #titletalk.   There are posts about people as runners--runners reflecting on their runs, just as readers reflect on their reading.  And runners celebrate new things just like readers celebrate and anticipate new book. (A New Luna Bar flavor and a new running shoe out this month:-)

4. Some runners have fun by adding costumes when they race. Who knew? I discovered this when I found a video clip of this year's Disney Princess Half-Marathon.  (Really, what better way to start a race than to have the Fairy Godmother wave her wand at the castle?)




There is a big TINKERBELL EXPO and Half Marathon at Disneyland at the end of the month, so lots of running bloggers are getting ready by buying new wing and things. TEAM SPARKLE has suggestions for costumes for the race.  If you are wondering what Team Sparkle is, I discovered it this week. It is an online running store that these costume-loving runners love! They have lots of ideas for running costumes. Check out some of these great costume combinations here. So,  I am thinking, what fun could we have if we had a 5K for Literacy and dressed as book characters? I am thinking I can get a Skirt at TEAM SPARKLE, a T-Shirt at CAFE PRESS and make some pink ears. I'd be so set to win a race, I think!


5. I love rest days. (I get 2 per week!)

6.  I have no idea how or why people run in all weather. Today was snowy, windy and almost 0 degrees out. I am sure there are people who run in this but I can't imagine.  I am confident I will never become an all-weather runner.

7.  Music matters when running. Even bad music is better than no music.  I have lost my headphones so my first day was without music.  It is really much harder to run without music.

8. I am not sure how to integrate this into a balanced life.  This week and last, it seemed to take over much of my life--eating healthy, finding time every day to exercise, etc.  This coming week, I plan to try exercising in the mornings 2 days a week to free up some evenings.  Early January is easy in terms of keeping evenings free but I know life is not always like that. So, I am going to try to make morning exercise a part of my routine so Yoga is the only evening commitment.

9. The Hunger Games Movie comes out on March 23rd. I am very excited. Luckily it is our spring break so I will be able to fit in the movie and exercise:-) If all goes well with my 16 week plan, I will be running 35 minutes (4 minutes running/1 minute walking) at this point.    


10.  I am treating myself to exercise-ware every 2 weeks --only if I am completed my goals. Imagine how many great fitness clothes I will have at the end of 16 weeks this way:-) This week, I needed essentials--running/yoga pants and some boring t-shirts.  I need to build the basics so I don't need to do laundry every day before I buy some fun extravagant thing. But I continue to add to my Pinterest THINGS I WANT TO BUY board.

6 comments:

  1. I love this, Franki! What a great goal, and what a fun way to maintain interest and motivation. After spending most of my life as a non-runner, after I first met my husband I started running more (he's a runner) and over a period of several years I finally worked my way up to a 5K. Maybe I would have gotten there faster if I'd blogged about it. :)

    Anyway, I love the idea of a Babymouse running costume!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! How many days do you run a week if you do yoga two? And, FWIW, my favorite yoga pose is half moon because I felt like I finally "got" yoga when I did it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super love this! I'm wearing the traveling Team Spakle skiet for the Indy mini the first weekend in May! (the pink, of course!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really, these Team Sparkle skirts are something to aim for. I love them. Glad you are wearing pink! Katherine--my plan has me running 3 days with yoga twice and 2 rest days. I may add a third day of yoga to a day of running once I get this schedule down. The yoga is also cardio-ish since it is power yoga so that's good. I so don't get yoga but in 16 weeks I am hoping I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lululemon clothes are also a great reward for runners and yoga goals. Check out their blog: http://www.lululemon.com/community/blog/ Lots more than fashion ideas! Loved reading your posts!
      Andrea

      Delete
    2. Yes, Lululemon is definitely on my "Things I Want to Buy"! I didn't know there was a blog. I will check that out. Thanks!

      Delete