Saturday, January 7, 2012

Week One: 10 Things

From Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/vestman/3210770788/ by Vestman

Week One of Becoming A Runner is complete.   I've immersed myself in finding people to follow online and checking out the running community out there.  This is definitely a club that looks to be fun--one I'd really like to be part of,  The week of exercise was not so fun, but I knew that going in.  My running life doesn't begin until this coming week. This past week, my goal was to exercise 5 days and to get my head around a long-term plan.  I met my goal.  Again, it was not fun.

Here are 10 Things I am Thinking About After the First Week to Becoming a Runner:

1-Started Year as Usual.
January always starts out so organized and full of promise. I cut fresh veggies and put those in tupperware for the week. I packed healthy lunches, had fresh fruit, finished laundry.  I even started using my own fabric warmer for my daily Starbucks Venti Awake Tea.  I was ready for the week as I always am in early January. And it paid off.  I ate pretty healthy, had low-stress morning, and time in the evenings for exercise and things.  I exercised 5 nights which was my goal.  But I know this organization doesn't always last past mid-January so I am taking note of what works. I realize if we grocery shop in the morning on Sunday, I am more willing to cut veggies than if we wait until later in the day to shop.  I am paying attention to the things that will make it hard to keep this up.  I did already lose my fabric warmer and have no idea where it is so I need to find that but the rest of the week went well.

2-Panic Attack
I did have a small panic attack when Sara posted her blog post last Sunday.  I realized that we had put this plan out there publicly and I had some anxiety. I woke my husband up and said, "What if I can't really become a runner?"  I was up half the night wondering what it was I had been thinking.  Here are our tweets to each other that night:



I realized that blogging with Sara may actually be the thing that keeps me going. I can't abandon her when we've both committed so publicly!?

3- Power Yoga
I began my Power Yoga class. It was not fun. I made it about 25 minutes before I wanted to vomit.  And the good news was that I did not vomit. Hopefully next time, I can go a few more minutes.  I am going to take yoga on Mondays and Wednesdays at a great place in Dublin called Harbor Yoga.  Even though I have a long way to go, I really like the feel of this place and know that once I can handle the workout, I'll love it. I went with my good friend, Katie DiCesare. (TIP: Do not begin an exercise program with someone who is both 10 years younger than you and in much better shape than you...)

4-Online Running Coach
As I wrote my article for Nerdy Book Club last week, I realized that I needed support.  Just as our kids need support and instruction to become readers, I need support and instruction to become a runner.  I had been attempting to become a runner on my own for years.  And clearly, that hasn't been successful. So, I  hired an online running coach. I found her in my blog reading (recommended by 365 Days of Awesome) and had an initial phone conference with her on Monday.  She is creating an individual plan for me to begin this week and my plan will be for 16 weeks. She will check in with me regularly.  I love this and we hit it off right away.

5- Runners are Very Similar to Readers
I've been immersing myself in reading running blogs, finding blogs of women runners I could relate to and who were inspiring to me. What I found is that runners are very similar to readers.  Their New Year's posts were not so different from the readers whose blogs I read.  Runners set goals (Run a Marathon in Every State, Run 1500 miles, Beat my Personal Best Time at a 70.3--whatever that is, and Plank for 100 minutes.) They reflect on their running year and set new goals. They announce the plans they have for 2012 and have wish lists for races to run. They seem as overwhelmed by not having enough time to participate in every event as I do when I don't have time to read every book.  They are truly passionate about what they do.

6- Supportive Friends
I am a true believer in the fact that it takes a village. My friends have been supportive in a variety of ways. Some call to check in while others think ahead to when we could run together.  Some try other, more sarcastic tactics:-)  Some of my long-time friends have done this with me every year since they've known me and they are as supportive as ever.  Katie joined Yoga with me which will get me there every Wednesday. Others have offered to meet me at the gym.

7- Running Humor
There is running humor. I don't totally get it yet but I am starting to.  You know, to be part of a club, you have to get their humor.  I don't quite get all of the inside jokes but I am working on it.  The Brooks Rusty the Racewalker series of videos is actually pretty amusing. (It is actually making fun of people like me, but I am good with that:-)


8-Virtual 5Ks
I am amazed at the impact runners make on the world. The races they run are definitely connected to issues that matter to them.  And the races look to be fun and social. Each has its own personality.  And this week, I learned that there are Virtual Races. Lots of them.  I got excited, thinking I could just have my avatar participate or something. But the races are virtual in that you participate where you are, report your score, become part of the team, etc. I like this whole idea and will investigate further.

9--I Have Time
As I reflected on my year of reading in 2011, I realized that time is no longer an excuse to avoid exercising. I read 305 books. When I mentioned that to a few of my friends, they looked shocked.  I didn't think it was a big deal. Reading is what I do.  I've also written 2-3 blog posts a week, tweeted daily, and  had time with family and friends. I worked but also had balance.  Finding a few hours each week to exercise seems doable and not having time is not an excuse.  I realized reading the blogs that I've discovered, that runners are busy people. It isn't like they are sitting at home doing nothing during the other 23 hours each day.  They fit it in because it is important.  It seems silly that my goal is to read less this year, but I could read 250 books and still be happy:-) I'd much rather read than exercise but I have time to do both.

10--Things I Want to Buy
My daughter took me to Lululemon over Christmas break. She is a yoga and running addict so she had gift certificates to spend.  I fell in love with the clothes but could not justify buying any since I hadn't actually started exercising.  One of my big issues is that I usually stop exercising after I get into routine, get feeling better and lose a bit of weight. I have been trying to figure out how to avoid that this round. So, I made a deal with myself. Every two weeks that I meet my goals in terms of exercising, I will buy some exerciseware.  Maybe a water bottle or a yoga mat. Maybe a pair of running pants or a headband. That way, I will be excited to exercise the next week because I will have something new to wear.  I prefer a treat every day or every week but that is not doable money-wise. (I don't know if every other week is doable money-wise but it will be for the first 16 weeks at least.).  I started a "THINGS I WANT TO BUY" board on Pinterest and many of the things are connected to this bi-weekly treat. (Don't worry, I will post my new purchases on the blog.)

3 comments:

  1. The social piece to working out completely pulls me in. We need each other. Chatting about our day, laughing throughout workout and enjoying the stress relief when over, for me, changes the way I look at exercising. I love yoga but even more hanging with you. Now if you line up a bunch of other friends to work out with you for the next 16 weeks, you are set! You can be socially distracted from all the pain and soreness during your workouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks--you are a good friend:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was smiling while reading this because I could connect to a lot of it. Last year my sisters and I started a blog about reconnecting with running. I know that sense of panic of announcing to the world. I had my ups and downs and need to refocus once again this year as while I ran more than I had any other time in my adult life, I did not do so consistently.

    My first post last year was Less Reading, More Running, so I look forward to reading more about yours and Sara's experiences, knowing that I will be able to connect to your experiences.

    ReplyDelete