Friday, January 27, 2012

10 Things Week 4: I'd Rather Be Doing Puzzles

http://www.flickr.com/photos/themensp/2158316660/ byMononc' Paul
So, I realize I am using the word "running" but in reality, I am still walking far more than I am running. I just finished Week 3 of my 16 Week Running Plan.  The plan is pretty brilliant--put together by my online coach Tonia at TMB:-)  But it is hard. This week, I am running 45 seconds and walking for 2 minutes. Today was my "long run" that lasted 33 minutes. It was not easy even though I never run more than 45 seconds at a time. This coming week, I stick to the same interval times but extend my short and long run times. I feel better going into a week where I don't increase the time running. I need another week with this.

1.  I would rather be doing puzzles.  Really, when I decided I wanted a hobby, I am not sure why I didn't think harder about this idea of running.  Well, I did. But I hadn't considered becoming really good at doing puzzles until my friend Meredith mentioned them this week (as something she would rather do than run:-) I am pretty good at them actually. Even though no one in my family enjoys them.  It seems like I made a mistake committing to running instead of puzzles.  Oh, well.

2. I am sooooo tired this week.  It is the week when life started getting busy again.  I have been tired all week. Every day. The good news is...I still did my workouts.  I went to yoga on Monday even though I didn't want to. I ran three times even though I didn't want to. None of my workouts felt good because of my energy level all week, but I did them. I think that matters. I did love the second when I was halfway finished with each "run" and I loved when I got to being 2/3 of the way done.  

3.  Several of my friends received this random text message during the week:  "I. Hate. Yoga. And. Running."  If you received one of these texts, thank you for not telling me to just quit.

4.  I learned about Wheatgrass Shots from my friend Jen at Teach Mentor Texts. She is my reading teacher health food idol. Wheatgrass shots sound awful but worthy.  I will try one soon. This alone should be reason enough for you to keep reading this blog.  You never know when I may post about the experience. I am sure you won't want to miss it.

5. Who knew that Miley Cyrus would save me with one of her crazy songs?  During my Wednesday run (just after I almost fell of the treadmill), Miley was on my Playlist.  "Let's Get Crazy" or "Hoedown Throwdown" or something. I was so happy to hear that song. It had a nice little beat. Reminded me of watching Hannah Montana with my kids when they were much younger.  Got me through a few minutes of running. Who knew?



6.  When you can't stand running, it helps to put the music EVEN LOUDER. I am not sure why this works but really loud music helps you keep running when you don't want to.

7. Last January, I read 40 books. I loved last January.  It was the month I decided to relax and re- energize. I spent lots of time on the couch catching up on great books. I had a great year of great books in 2011. This month, I have only read a few books. Well, more than a few. I've read 18 books--2 Young Adult novels, 1 adult nonfiction book, a professional book and lots of picture books.  I read 305 books in 2011 and I have to get over the fact that I may not be able to do that this year. I have to realize that I can read lots AND exercise --just may not be able to read as much as last year when I wasn't exercising.

8.  I am beginning to understand people who say, "I need a run." I don't really think it yet but I am practicing. A few times this week when I was irritated and stressed, I realized that this would be when runners thought to themselves, "I need a run."  So, I practiced. And on Friday, I was very annoyed with something and then I went for a run. Guess what? It actually helps. You can't really be mad when you are thinking about breathing and oxygen and after 33 minutes, you can think more clearly.  For those of us who can't clear our minds, running must give you no choice but to clear them.

9.  It is a treat week. Remember, every 2 weeks that I meet my exercise goals, I give myself a treat--the plan is to buy myself some exercise attire. The idea has two benefits--I like to shop and buy things. New exercise attire will make going to exercise the following week more fun because I'll have something new to wear.  Going to Lululemon for my treat--wonder what I'll buy...

10.  I donated to my first running event this week.  Heather of 365 Days of Awesome has been a huge inspiration to me in this last four weeks of beginning to run. I heard about Heather on Another Mother Runner.  It was from this blog that I learned about my new running coach. (AND, I learned about Team Sparkle from Heather!) Her posts are genuine and upbeat and I look forward to reading what she has to say each day.   She is running a race for Pediatric Cancer and is also organizing a virtual race. I was going to join but cannot yet run 5K. But she is taking donations for her own race, in honor of her daughter, Gabby. If you are looking for a great place to donate your money today, TEAM GAB is a great cause.  I am hoping that at some point, I can actually join one of the virtual races for this cause. Heather's blog is definitely one that makes running look not only worthwhile, but fun.  It has been important for me during this first month of running.




1 comment:

  1. So inspirational! Thanks for impacting not only my teaching life, but now my running life. Was really good with excersing last week, but fell off the wagon this week. Even though I'm kind of down and out with a cold I AM going to do it this week!!! I AM going to be a runner. I so don't want to, but I know I feel better. AND I love the song suggestions - and SO TRUE about turning up the volume. Here are some other good song titles for that: "It's My Life" by Bon Jovi, "Beautiful Day" by U2, "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" by KT Tunstall, "Bulletproof" by LaRoux, "Dynamite" by Taio Cruz, "Firework" by Katy Perry, "I Got a Feeling" by Black Eyed Peas, "Disturbia" Rihanna. And for warming up I love: "If Today Was Your Last Day" by Nickelback, "Unwritten" & "Pocketful of Sunshine by Natasha Bedingfield and for cooling down: "New Soul" by YaelNaim, "Pocketful of Sunshine" Natasha Bedingfield, "The Motions" by Matthew West, "There Will Be a Day" by Jeremy Camp. I've found good songs to be really helpful and to know which ones are coming up. Sometimes I set a goal to run for 6 songs (I've backslid to 4 songs lately) and I walk and take a quick water break after 3, etc. I'm so going to keep following you and these other blogs - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete