Sunday, February 5, 2012

10 Things Week 5: EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS...

Flickr by Great Northern Running
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/great_northern_running/5549675038/

I just finished Week 5 of my exercise journey.  Week 4 of my 16 week training schedule to get me to running a 5K.  Wooohooo! This week, I ran 45 seconds and walked 2 minutes but increased my long run to 38.5 minutes. I feel like I am making good progress.  I read somewhere this week that you start to feel good at mile 8, so I guess I'll start feeling good in about 3 years!  I am much less tired this week and even with an adjusted exercise schedule due to travel, I was able to meet my week's goals:-)  I knew up front that February would be a really hard month and it is but this week showed me I can do it.

Here are 10 things I am thinking about this week:

1. Lululemon pants are amazing.  I may have to add this to my 10 Things list every week because really, I love them! I want to wear them 24/7. Luckily, next weekend is another treat week and I am thinking I need the Groove Pants and a jacket. I can see how this could potentially become a problem....I am not the only one who loves Lululemon pants. This idea of treating yourself to exercise attire seems to be one that works for others too!

2.  This week, on one of my non-running days, I couldn't make it to Yoga for some reason. So I got on the stationary bike we have upstairs. The pedal was loose so when I was finished, I let my husband know it needed fixed and asked him to leave the wrench to fix it by the bike in case it happened again. He said, "Oh, so did you not do your workout?" Huh? Of course I did my workout. It didn't even occur to me to use that as an excuse not to work out. That was a big moment for me, realizing that I was no longer looking for excuses not to work out. There are definitely days I don't want to work out, but I don't seem to be looking for excuses or thinking about reasons not to exercise as I used to to.

3. I am sleeping better. It seems like the beginning weeks of exercise, my body was very confused. This week though, I started to sleep really well and I am far less tired than I was last week. That is a good thing!

4. This is the first time I have been on a plan without weight loss being the main focus.  I definitely want and need to lose weight, but having a 16 week running plan to get to a 5K seems so much smarter for me. I have weighed myself every day since I was 13. Crazy, I know. And clearly it doesn't seem to matter. But it is just a habit I've always had.  I still do that, but the idea that my goal is a 16 week journey and that the results of both running and weight will be slow has somehow changed things for me. I no longer worry if I didn't lose a pound. Instead, I am working toward a different goal of a healthier lifestyle. I imagine the weight will work itself out and if not, once I get to a 5K, I'll be in a much better place to start thinking about weight loss.  I am amazed at the difference having a goal other than weight is making for me.

5.  Runners are fun people. I like them and I am starting to understand the socialness of all of this in terms of training, races, etc.  As you know, I cannot wait to get my first Team Sparkle skirt for the Komen Columbus Race for the Cure in May.  That was the first fun thing that is somehow keeping me inspired to keep going. But this week, I learned about The Color Run.  I learned about this from Lisa at Because I Can...(a new favorite blog:-)  How fun is this run?



Unfortunately, I do not see a Color Run in Columbus.  Hopefully they will be coming soon. Or maybe...I will go to Chicago. I now understand people who travel for races. This is one I want to be part of someday. Love that someone came up with this idea!  Definitely want to do one of these once I am able to run a 5K.

6.  Playlists matter.  As I said last week, Miley Cyrus seems to save me a lot when I am losing energy. I know I need to find some new songs but have not really had the time to do that and am not really running long enough that it matters right now. A few friends have suggested I listen to podcasts or audiobooks but I can't imagine doing that. I am not sure how anyone does that. It seems like it would make both running and listening more difficult.  Dimity at Another Mother Runner is "Calling All Playlists" to include in the Groovy Tunes section of their newly designed website. Sounds like something I definitely need. Right now, I am so not so much contributing to the running community--only taking from it. I hope they don't mind...

7.  I tried the Chaturanga this week at Yoga. My 21 one year old daughter who is a yoga addict, came with me to my class since she was in town.  It was fun to have her with me but I had to try some things I hadn't before:-) Earlier in the week, she was semi-appalled that I had not tried the Chaturanga yet. It was the modification that has been allowing me to get through class. So this week I tried a few.  My upper body strength (if you can call it that) is pretty weak. So even the plank is hard for me. I should work on my plank on off yoga days. I will think about that.

8. I love Oxygen and Water.  This weekend, I traveled to Denver, Colorado for CCIRA.  It was an amazing conference. I learned a lot and saw lots of great friends. It was a truly great weekend and I was even able to see the historic blizzard. I did notice a difference in the oxygen and water a bit while I was there. I worked hard to drink lots of water to keep hydrated but I still came home less hydrated than usual. And I didn't exercise there because I was worried that I wasn't used to the altitude yet. So I woke up early Thursday to exercise before I flew out and I rested the 2 days that I was there.  I did notice a bit of a difference in things when I got home to my normal altitude level. It could have been my imagination but I don't think so.  But it was worth having less water and oxygen to be part of CCIRA!

9.  My friend, Sam Bennett, suggested I read WHAT I TALK ABOUT WHEN I TALK ABOUT RUNNING.  I ordered the sample on my Kindle and am anxious to give it a try.  I love that he is both a runner and a writer:-) I will keep you posted.

10. According to my 12 year old, I am now more pleasant, ("not much" she says, "but a little"). Gotta love 12 year old girls.  As my husband added, "Every little bit helps."  Imagine how pleasant I could be in a few weeks!

I think my husband's comment sums up the journey so far. Every little bit makes a difference.  Onto next week!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, if it running makes you more pleasant, I might have to try it! I'm sure my sixteen year old would appreciate it. Or maybe he should try it, because I would definitely appreciate him being a little more pleasant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post again, Franki. I unfortunately have had very little running done in the last two weeks. The first week I just found excuses not to run. This week I've been sick with a fever, cold, and cough on and off since last Monday. I'm hoping it will be vacating my body and I can jump back on the treadmill. I actually do miss it right now. And that color run looks amazing! Might have to travel to Chicago for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't met my goal, but I'm getting back in the swing of things. Ran two miles yesterday. I am totally looking into The Color Run in Chicago on June 2nd.

    ReplyDelete