Sunday, April 15, 2012

Guest Post from Katherine Sokolowski

Katherine Sokolowski, teacher, reader, blogger (READ, WRITE, REFLECT) and running friend wrote today's guest post. Enjoy!



Several months ago Franki posted something about wanting to be a runner but never actually running. For the life of me, I can’t even remember if it was on her blog or somewhere else. I vaguely feel like it was part of her New Year’s Resolutions. I remember commenting to her that I felt the same way. Well then she had to go and decide that she was going to change. 2012 would not be about wishing you were a runner but about becoming one. Crap, I thought. Now I have to join in.

January and most of February I tried it out. I’d run and then quit. But as my 38th birthday rolled around at the end of February, it was time to get serious. I hired the trainer that Franki has mentioned, Tonia Blanchet, and she created a program for me. I needed to commit to running three times a week. Could I do it? I had my doubts.

See, I’ve ran before. I have a love-hate relationship with food. I love it but hate how it tends to pile on the pounds. Running has been the quickest way to lose weight in the past. I’ve never been “fast”. My track coach in middle school called me the turtle. No sprinting for me, thank you. But I could usually run for a long distance. Slow and steady was my motto.

In college I came back to running during my senior year for two reasons. One, I wanted to lose weight for my wedding that June. Two, because a 10K my dad had always ran as I was growing up was holding its last race that May. I ran it at my normal pace. So slow that the dentist in town the runs backwards for the last mile of the race wasn’t far behind me. (Although those ten minute miles would be great now!)

So the last time I ran seriously I was twenty-two. I’ve run on and off in the sixteen years since that race, run two 5Ks but really find reasons to stop pretty quickly. When Franki said she was beginning I figured I’d jump in. And jump I did.

Today marks the end of week 7 of my plan. And although I have not lost a pound (Not one measly pound for Pete’s sake! Inches, yes, but not a pound!) I have learned a lot.

Lesson one – I’m not sure all runners love running. I think the difference, for me, between myself as a runner and a non-runner is that I run on my assigned days even when I don’t want to. I’m not going to lie, I haven’t found a Tuesday/Thursday/ or Saturday where I’ve woken up and thought, “Yay! I get to run today!” but I do it anyway. Maybe that is the key.

Lesson two – When choosing to run (or any fitness activity) it is important to focus on becoming a healthier person, not just to lose weight. Thank goodness I had this in my head or I would have stopped after week two.

Lesson three – Franki has said this, but it takes a village. Having her to send a text message to and commiserate with has been so wonderful. Same with my trainer, Tonia, and my local friends. They also hold me accountable.

Lesson four – Putting a treadmill in my basement is a lifesaver. I have no excuses. And watching The Big Bang Theory helps time pass when I’m gasping for air.

Lesson five – Rewards matter. As my husband can testify to, I enjoy buying things. I promised myself a Team Sparkle skirt if I made it to April so I could wear it (and a Babymouse shirt) in my 5K on May 12. So I won’t give up after May, I’ve registered for the Color Run in Indy in July with some friends. Just little things but they keep me plugging at it.

So there are my five lessons. It is harder becoming a runner at 38 than it was at 22. I have just gotten fitted for orthotics that will hopefully fix some shin issues I’ve had. Sad, but I am beyond excited to get them tomorrow. It’s the little things I tell you.

Really, though, my main lesson that I’ve learned is to make the choice every running day to run. No excuses. On that note, I have to hit the treadmill. Traveling yesterday moved my run to today and let me tell you, I am not looking forward to the next 42 minutes. However, I absolutely cannot wait for how I will feel afterward because I know it is amazing. Want to run? Come and join in. 

2 comments:

  1. Way to go! I just love reading how you all have gotten started and are sticking to it! You make a great point: most days I don't look forward to it, but I do love how I feel afterwards. But I have to tell you, some days I can't wait for the hour of freedom it buys me (maybe because I have younger kids!) and that hour on the treadmill with my earbuds in and Mad Men on Netflix is like a mini vacation. :) Keep running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on both the honesty of your process, and for sticking to it. It will be fun to continue to follow the progress of both you and Franki. I think it's wonderful how you've committed to doing something good for your body. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete