Monday, April 30, 2012

WOOOOHOOOOO!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adoseofshipboy/216516964/ by ADoseofShipBoy



It is Monday and I am still in shock that I have completed my 16 week training plan and that I ran 3 miles straight yesterday!!!  I actually ran 3 miles straight--without stopping. It was a long and slow 3 miles--took 44 total minutes. I ran on the treadmill at our rec center so it was indoor.  And I did it first thing in the morning--which was also kind of a first.  I have to say again that Tonia's planning is brilliant.  I remember looking at this 16 week plan in the dead of winter--early January--and thinking, "This is slow and long." But I knew it was what I needed. I committed to giving it a shot and sticking to it for the 16 weeks. I wasn't totally convinced (until about a week ago) that I would actually be able to run 3 miles by the end of 16 weeks but I knew I'd be in a better spot physically.

I have lots of reflecting to do about why I stuck with it this time, what I learned, etc. Here are a few things.

1. Tonia created an amazing plan. When I started this, I KNEW a lot about running, but was not a runner. The plan I followed got me running but it also taught me some habits and behaviors of runners. I found lots of blogs and learned from lots of people. I actually paid a bit of attention to the Boston Marathon. I learned some tricks of the trade. I had long runs and short runs. I learned about pacing.  I learned that runners really don't run to impress other people.  And that they pull you right into their group--even if you run a 15 minute mile. 

2. My cousin emailed to let me know that she figured out how to pretend you are a runner but not really be one. She recommended that I volunteer at a race--that I would get a t-shirt and even get free bagels. I tried to explain to her that the shirt doesn't seem to matter to people who actually run the races. Running the race is what matters.  

3.  There have been lots of stories on blogs about people who have recently started running or of people sharing their stories of how/when they started.  I think maybe spring is the time lots of people start running.  I especially liked Erin's story celebrating 3 years of running. It was inspiring to me because Erin is someone I just assumed had been running since infancy.  Nice to see everyone started somewhere!

4. I've also found lots of stories about people starting to run when they were older.  No one seems to wait until they are 48, but since I was actually 47 in January, I may not be the oldest person to ever attempt to begin running.  SEE MOM RUN FAR has some stories on a recent blog post.

5. I am recently fascinated by these relays that lots of people seem to be doing.  It seems like they are big slumber parties that include some running. (I am sure I do not have this right at all, but the girls who have run some of these relays sound like they have a blast even though they sound excruciatingly difficult and long!) Anyway, the Nuun teams for the Hood to Coast relay were announced this week. I was happy to see so many people who I "know" from their blogs and tweets.

6.  I am now able to listen to music again when I run. For so long, I couldn't add another thing to what I was doing so I quit music. But I found a few new songs and since I was running longer times, I could add it back in. My new favorite song for running--the one that I use to get me started when I am running longer these days--is WHAT MAKES YOU BEAUTIFUL by One Direction. It pays to have a 12 year old and a 21 year old daughter when you need new music:-)




7.  I found a new blog that I like--MCM Mama. I tend to be inspired by moms who run. No matter their age.  Because I have realized that time really isn't an excuse.  And that it isn't easy for anyone to make time to run. I loved this post about going from a 5K to a marathon, not because I EVER want to do that but because the bullets of how she did it are not that different from what I did.  There were lots of days that I would have rather gotten the laundry done or finished up something for work.  The feeling of having something hanging over my head that needed done and then still going for a run was a little stressful at first. But then I decided it was a mindset.  There are always things to do and really 30-60 minutes is not a big chunk of time. I found that I could catch up later and if I didn't, it was really no big deal.

8.  As I mentioned earlier, I ran my 3 miles indoor first thing Sunday morning. I was worried about it but I had a really busy weekend and had trouble fitting it in at all. On Saturday I had an all day workshop and then dinner for my grandmother who turned 97!! Lots of family was in for the weekend to celebrate and I knew once Sunday got started, I might never get a run in. I wanted to enjoy the day without the stress of finding time to run. So I got up at 7, ate a Cliff Bar (discovered Coconut Chip which I LOVE thanks to a friend at work:-) and got to the rec center when they opened at 8. I didn't feel great when I started but was okay after the first mile or so.  Not sure that I could have gone much longer--I was thrilled when 3.0 came up and I could slow down. But I did it. In the morning. Tired and not feeling great.  I was pretty tired for much of the afternoon and evening so running in the am is still not something I'll do often yet.  But it is a new possibility:-)

Happy Birthday, Grandma!



9. It seems like years ago that I noticed this "About Me" on one of my favorite blogs 365 DAYS OF AWESOME.  Heather shared that she got a plan to run 30 minutes from Tonia and I decided the minute I saw the photo of her completed plan that I would do the same thing. It just made sense at the time and it seemed right. So I emailed Tonia and got started.  One of the things I realized is how critical the online community is.  Having a trainer I've never met in person, reading about people's running experiences, being inspired by one post, continuing on because of another.   I have always understood the power of online communities but this is the first time I've "joined" one as a newbie. And I have realized how critically important it has been for me to hear from others about their experiences. So I am thankful to every single blog post I've read that kept me going--especially the first one that got me moving in the right direction.

10. So, where to go from here? I don't want to run a marathon. But I do want to keep running. I want to  see what I can do. Continue to push myself a bit.  I want to run in the rain and maybe run in the winter. I want to run a bit more in the morning and someday I'd love to run with others.  I'd love for running to feel natural at some point.  And I'd love to run a few races with friends--throwing in costumes from places like Team Sparkle when appropriate:-) I'd love to run a bit when I travel--the change of scenery sounds fun.  The Disney runs are something that amaze me and I notice that they have a 5K. Running in wings and crowns--what more could one want?  If they ever do a Princess 10K, I think I'll have to give it a try.  And I'll keep blogging about my running, I think. I probably won't stick with the 10 things format--that was my way of paying attention to any little change early on.  But this weekly posting has helped me to really reflect on my growth. To remember that I did get better, even on days when it didn't feel like it. To have people that took the time to read my posts and cheer me on:-)

I said early on in my blogging that it seemed to take a village to get me running. I realize every day how large of a village it takes for me.  This running thing is not something that is easy for me so I can't tell you how much all of the support meant throughout the last 16 weeks.  Thanks:-)

1 comment:

  1. Yay Franki! Week 16 is six weeks away for me. I wish I had a bit more time before my race but it will do. I am so proud of you. Congrats my friend!

    ReplyDelete