Saturday, April 7, 2012

10 Things Week 14: And the Team Sparkle Skirts Begin to Arrive!!

Okay, so I just finished Week 14 of my exercise and Week 13 of my 16 week running plan. Really, the fact that I only have 3 weeks left is fascinating to me.  Now, don't get me wrong, the next 3 weeks look excruciating but I have learned that if I follow the plan, I improve:-)

My friends in their new Team Sparkle running skirts!  

1.  This week, our skirts from TEAM SPARKLE began to arrive.  I ordered 5 for several of us who will be running in RACE FOR THE CURE. I delivered Katie's to her when we went to yoga at HARBOR YOGA on Monday night.  She was a good sport and tried it on while we waited for class to start.  I delivered Lynsey's to school the next day and she tried it on right then and there in the library.  And Katherine tweeted out a photo of her running outfit--complete with skirt and Babymouse t-shirt. Such fun!!  The skirts arriving made this 5K thing seem more real.  My mother paid for mine as a treat for sticking with the program.  The skirts are definitely motivators for me and I love my friends for having fun with them too:-)

2.  I ordered my Sparkly Soul headband and it arrived in time for Yoga on Monday.  I love it--it a bright pink color and quite fun.  But I really did not expect it to work.  My hair is a weird length and it is hard to keep off my face and neck during yoga. I do a Pebbles-type ponytail on top of my head with the bangs but the sides and back are always in my way.  Well, this headband stayed in place without moving for the WHOLE hour long hot yoga class.  Just as was promised on the website. Really, it is truly miraculous! I will need another soon, I am sure:-)

3. There is a COLOR RUN coming to Columbus. Wooohooo! We tried to register for the Chicago run but it closed out before we registered. Hoping we get in this one.  Would be such fun! If you have not watched the clips of this run, you have to watch. It looks like way too much fun to miss. And I am thinking we all get different colored Team Sparkle skirts for this one, right?

4. Sara Kajder sent me this GREAT blog post!! If you are a runner and/or a FULL HOUSE fan, you will love this post. Seems that D.J. is all into health and she is still friends with Kimmy.  Kimmy is a runner and shares her story.  I love the Tinkerbell photo!  She has great advice for beginners and it is a post I might have to reread next time I get discouraged.

5.  So, I did my long run on Friday morning. Long, I mean 32 minutes.  But it was 7 run/1 walk for 4 times so I was exhausted at the end. Then I had to drive 3 hours. I realized it was not quite a great idea to do a long run before you have to drive a boring drive. Luckily, I had a large tea and my daughter entertained me the whole way.  But I could have easily napped all afternoon.

6. On Saturday, my daughters and I had a girls' night while my husband was at a hockey game. Our first stop was Cover to Cover where I picked up a great bag full of new books.  Then we went to JoAnn's to get some things I needed to make cake pops.  We had dinner at California Pizza and then went to Lululemon where I tried on some things and bought some new tanks.  Then we went to Jeni's ice cream. I was too full from dinner to have ice cream but the girls did. Really, Cover to Cover, Lulu and Jeni's all in one night--3 of my very favorite place!  A good day:-)  (the only connection this has to my exercise is Lululemon and that it has now become one of my favorite places, right up there with Jeni's and Cover to Cover.)

7.  So, I was doing my long run on Friday. I hated it. I am finding that the first 2 rounds are killer and the last two are doable. As I've said before, I love the minute when I realize I am going to be able to finish the run. It usually happens 1/3 to 1/2 way.  But on this long 32-minute run, it happened at minute 30. I really wasn't sure until then that I could finish.  So it was a bad run.  I ran on the indoor track and there were people walking and running. I was in the midst of misery and was passing a woman who was speed walking. She was really walking faster than I was running or at close to the same speed but I got to the point that I had to get past her. As I was going past, trying not to cry because I was miserable, she said, "I wish I could run like you."  What? I turned my head and I don't think I was very nice because I was in shock. I thought maybe I was on some Candid Camera show. She wished she could run like me? Seriously?  It took me about 2-3 laps to get over the shock and then about 3-4 minutes to reflect on how nice of her it was to say that.  Seriously, this comment got me through the rest of my run.  And I was so shocked by her words that I think I rolled my eyes at her or something.  I am still in shock that anyone would want to run like me but I so appreciate her comment.  It got me through my run and it may get me through many more in the future.

8. I ran two of my 3 runs outside this week. I don't really enjoy it but it saves me time to just go out and run. Going to the rec center to run adds 20-30 minutes to my time needed so running outside is good when it is an option. I am slower outside and I hate seeing people I know but it is quick.  I have run in the wind and in colder than pleasant temperatures for me.  Next challenge is to run in the rain. My friend Clare tells me that this is great but I can't imagine.  My new feeling is that running is pretty miserable while you are actually doing it so rain would just give me something else to focus on instead of my breathing and how miserable I am maybe. We'll see. Hoping to run in the rain at least once before the end of my 16 weeks.

9. I have decided that I need to stick with running for a year.  I think that in order to decide if you like something, you have to give it enough time to go through lots of experiences--good and bad to see the real benefits.  This plan from Tonia (TMB ENDURANCE TRAINING)  has worked out great for me and I know I can't quit once I meet my goal (which I do sometimes.) So I am thinking a year of running. 3 times a week.  As of today, I have run 39 times. I am amazed by that. I now understand why people track minutes and miles and numbers.

10.  I tried Nuun and I like it.  I have a few during the week and an extra one during Hot Yoga on Monday. I think it is smart for me. They only carry Triple Berry and Lemon Lime at our Kroger and I like those but I will probably order some other flavors online.  I've also started using a different water glass at school--one with a build in straw. And I find myself drinking far more water every day because of it.  Drinking more water and using Nuun more consistently is definitely a goal for me this coming week.

3 comments:

  1. Yay - so fun Franki. I love our skirts and can't wait to run with you at All Write! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pink camo skirt came in with attached shorts - too darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see all of you at the race in your sparkle skirts. I will be walking but admiring all of you as you sparkle in your run! GO TEAM SPARKLE!

    ReplyDelete