Saturday, March 31, 2012

Quick Things Week 13: IT TAKES A VILLAGE

I love doing this blog and reflecting each week but I have a ton to do, so my challenge to myself is to make this quick and move on to the other, less fun things I have to do.

1. I think I prefer running without music. While reading TRAIN LIKE A MOTHER, one of the authors says that music during a race is too much stimulation for her. That made SOOO much sense for me.  I always prefer quiet of music so I tried it again with running and I love it. One less thing to think about, to worry about, to deal with.  Much better runs.

2.  I am going to try Nuun. I have not been good at water and hydration and this sounds like a smart thing--especially for days I do yoga since it is 1000 degrees in there....

3.  I registered for Race for the Cure and ordered Team Sparkle skirts for 5 of us for the event. I'm pretty sure once people see them, more people will order....right, Mary Lee?

4.  I have realized that Lululemon clothes are great for daily wear as well as exercise.  The tanks are great under a cardigan and they are comfy. I think I am also a better writer when I am dressed in Lulu clothing. I am so happy wearing them because they are so comfortable that writing is far more fun.  And it seems they have new products every week..The addiction continues.

5. I think I am running about a 13 minute mile. I think I actually ran 2 miles for my long run. I ran 30 of 36 minutes (run 5/walk 1 six times) and am running about a 13 minute mile. Which means I ran 2+miles. Actually ran them. That is my lifetime record. In college, I loved 80s aerobics and every so often I'd run too. The most I ever ran was 2 miles and I remember being thrilled with myself then. So, lifetime record today:-)

6.  I am reading TRAIN LIKE A MOTHER and am loving it. These two authors have sustained me with their blog and books. They are great support no matter where you are in your running journey.

7.  I prefer running in leggings-type pants (tight at knee and ankle) and a big, but not too big, t-shirt.  One that is long enough that I don't have to worry about it but short enough that it doesn't blow around with wind.

8. I ran outside on a windy day.  Quite the experience. I can see where my Sparkly Soul headband will come in handy....

9. Katherine's post and our texts this week reminded me that it takes a village to keep me running.  Seriously, I have really good friends and cheerleaders. I have a friend who I text every day before my run to whine and after my run to celebrate. I have friends from all over checking in on me periodically to see how it's going.  I have friends who have run for years and friends new to running.  I have people I know and bloggers I've never met who keep me on this track.  I have friends shocked that I have made it this long without getting bored.  As I said, it takes a village. Love my friends.

10. A funny thing happened this week.  I decided to do my run Tuesday while my daughter was at dance. I got in the car to drive to the rec center because it was cold. At 6:28, about 3 minutes from my house, I remembered I had scheduled a 7:00 pm podcast interview with Penny Kittle for Choice Literacy. I realized I couldn't get my run in at the rec center. But....I turned the car around, pulled into my driveway at 6:32. I knew I had a 24 minute run so I started in my driveway at 6:32, ran exactly 12 minutes and turned around. Got back home at 6:55ish, ran in and made the phone call!  It was cold and I was not dressed for the outside. (It was the first time I wished for Sparkle Sleeves...)  But I knew if I waited until after the podcast, I wouldn't go. A good run and a great podcast with Penny:-)

3 comments:

  1. I agree, it does take a village. :) And I cannot wait to hear your podcast with Penny. I listen to some of them on my runs. I can get lost in listening to people talk and forget I am in pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm putting my order in for a purple sparkle skirt today.
    And I am going to paint my toenails for the folks at work who can't believe I don't care about such things even though they do. Deeply.
    What next? Will I take the Madonna book the public librarian suggests for my empathy unit of study? NO. A girl has to draw the line somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I enjoyed nature a bit and you will enjoy a bit of sparkle and polish. Very fun! I agree about drawing the line at Madonna's books:-)

    ReplyDelete