Saturday, May 19, 2012

10 Things: 5K :-)

Mary Lee, Me, Meredith, McKenzie before the race.  Sisterhood of the Sparkle Skirts!


Today, I participated in my first ever 5K--the Columbus Komen Race for the Cure. It was definitely an experience and one I've been working toward for a long time.  My goal was to run the whole thing but I knew that might be hard. I've been nervous all week about it.  About a mile in, I needed to walk for about 30 seconds because I was feeling sick. Once I walked for 30 seconds I ran again until the last 4 or 5 minutes.  Then I walked (I did run the final minute or two to cross the finish line.)  So I ran it in about 45 minutes total but time seems hard with not knowing exactly when we started because of the crowd. Navigating around people made it hard to settle into a pace. So, I didn't totally meet my goal but I feel good about it overall.

Here are 10 Things about the Run:

1.  I love my friends. Really, I've said it before but it took a village for me to get to the point where I could think about running a 5K.  My friends at work have been amazing all week.  I got totally stressed and tried to back out several times but they kept on me about not backing out.  And yesterday, my friend Kami had her 3rd graders make cards and signs for me wishing me luck in the run. They were adorable handing them to me and it really did help me keep going today when I didn't think I could.  It was fun to hang out a bit with McKenzie and Mary Lee/A.J. and Lynsey before the run. I am lucky to have good friends and it was fun to do something like this together even though we were all at different places in terms of our lives as runners/walkers. That's something I really love about this whole thing.

2. My friend Meredith  ran with me the whole time. Even when I walked, she slowed down her pace to stick with me.  I really think that I might have walked off the course had she not been there. She was like my race mom--she carried my stuff, helped me find the bathroom, etc.  She described me as an "anxious 4 year old" which about nailed it.  I soooo  appreciated her dealing with me today. I was a little high maintenance. This 5K was Meredith's beginning to her 1/2 Marathon Training so I think I'll repay her by being chair of her cheering section or maybe planning to run the last few miles with her if they allow that. It really did make a huge difference having a good friend with me along the way today.
Meredith finishing today's run! 

3. The route was not easy.  I walked a few times. Once for about 30 seconds and then at the end for about 4-5 minutes.  The sun seemed hot for how early it was this morning and there were more hills than I had anticipated. Now, we are in Ohio which is a pretty flat state but I have run on REALLY flat routes up until today. They threw me a tiny bit. Definitely something I need to work on.

4.  I am a huge fan of the Team Sparkle skirts. My mother told me today she'd buy me another one for my next race. I kind of loved Mary Lee's purple one so maybe that one will be next.  Mary Lee called us the "Sisterhood of the Sparkle Skirts!" I love that:-)  She did mention that I said (from my running research) that EVERYONE wears these skirts at races. She looked carefully and of the 50,000 people there, we may have been the only 3 in these skirts. Hmmm. Maybe we are behind in running fashions in Ohio and they just haven't made their way here. Hopefully next year, there will be way more people who sparkle with us! (And Meredith would like to add socks while I am dying to get a pair of sparkle sleeves.  We definitely got lots of compliments on the skirts:-)

5. People are asking me how I feel, how it went.  I did not hit any runner's high or any big moment of pride. I was more relieved to have this run over with than anything else. I was really really nervous about it --no idea why.  So I feel good that it is over and that I had the experience. I am not overly proud or overly disappointed with how I did.

6.  I had my first two running injuries this week. A bruised toenail earlier this week or last and today I have a tiny tiny bit of chafing under my arm where my shirt hit. I find this amusing--a running injury in a 5K.  I know they don't really count but they are a little irritating.  And I have huge sympathy for people who have real injuries and continue to run.

7.  I don't think I'd recommend a race this big as a first 5K to new runners.  It was big and it was an event. There would good things about that--it was a fun environment. Lots going on. Lots of people and a great cause. But while I was running, the bigness of the event made it harder for me.  I am easily distracted (hah--an understatement) and I like a good party. So having bands and people cheering and motorcycles and ribbons and signs, etc. were fun but hugely distracting for me. I think at some points they helped a lot and at other points, it was too much for me to pay attention to and I am not one that can ignore things like that.  I'd get caught up in eavesdropping on a conversation, then I'd hear a song then I'd hear something else.I remember when I realized that as running got harder, I was better off without music and this seemed similar.  I think I will love a race like this once I get in a bit better shape but it was a lot of new for a first 5K. I think I'll try it again next year but hopefully in a lot better shape.
After the run:-)

8.  I used a Porta-Potty. Not my favorite part of the race day experience.

9. Running something like this on a Saturday morning makes it easy to justify a relaxing weekend--My plans for the rest of the weekend include an afternoon nap, hanging out with friends, shopping, sleeping, and being lazy.  I don't usually justify a weekend without work or housework or something but this morning's run makes it very justifiable I think:-)

10. What's next? I'm not sure. I am signed up for the Color Run in July. I am very excited about that and I'd love to actually run the whole time.  We are planning a July run at All-Write Summer Institute complete with Babymouse shirts and Team Sparkle skirts.  So I think I'll keep up running 3 times a week with these little events spaced pretty far apart for a while. But I really do need to add some other things in-yoga, cardio classes, etc.

Overall it was a great day. Not sure why I was as stressed out as I was but I think now that I know what to expect, I won't be that worried again.  Now for a nap:-)


3 comments:

  1. I am sooo happy for you Franki!! Congrats and I wish I was there to cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Franki! Can't wait for All Write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did it and you should be very proud!! Congratulations on doing it and making it across the finish line!
    Would be glad to cheer you on at the Color Run while simultaneously chewing on a rib and listening to jazz. :)

    ReplyDelete