Sunday, May 13, 2012

6 Days til 5K

Well, the RACE FOR THE CURE 5K that I registered for is next Saturday. And all I can think is, "What was I thinking?"  I keep trying to get out of this run, but my good friend Meredith won't really let me out of it. I don't think I am ready.  I can sometimes run 3 miles but have yet to run 3 miles outside. This week I did one 2 mile run on the treadmill and one 3 mile run on the treadmill.  Both were really good runs but then I felt yucky all weekend. I skipped my run Saturday hoping to feel better Sunday. I didn't feel better but went out Sunday evening and gave it a try. I ran about a mile and 1/2. Outside.

So, I'm not sure how this will go. I understand why people train for races--it gives you something to work toward. But it is a little scary. I already know I will pretty much be last. That would be the best-case-scenario.  I guess I am just really nervous about it.

I have my Team Sparkle Skirt and I have my Sparkly Soul headband (pink glitter of course.)  I am shooting for a 15 minute mile. If I can do the 3.1 in 45 minutes, I'll be thrilled. The Columbus Color Run is in late July and I feel like that is much better timing--gives me a lot more time to really get ready to run 5K. I feel like this is too new to actually do with people around. Oh well.....

No matter how next week goes though, I feel like I've already met my goal. I really am amazed that I can run 3 miles at all. I am amazed that I can run 30-45 minutes without stopping.  I checked my resting heart rate today and it is incredibly lower than it was in January. I've lost about 10 pounds. I have more energy. I am not quite as moody.  I feel like I am past the hardest part of getting in shape--those first few months. As soon as this run on Saturday is over, I'll focus on adding some cross training and just keeping up with the habit of exercising. I think it is a habit--one that would be easy to quit, but one that I don't think I will. So no matter how next week goes, I think it will be okay.....

Keep your fingers crossed for me next Saturday morning please:-)

3 comments:

  1. You're going to do great! Races are exciting! It's so fun to see other runners and for me, their clothes! At the Indy Mini I spotted a couple of women in the cutest skirt imaginable. When I asked where it was from, they said Lulumon. I figured you already have it! Good luck on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete